Friday, July 25, 2014

My First Chemotherapy Infusion


Last week, I had an implantable catheter or port-a-cath surgically tunneled under the skin in my chest. The catheter was inserted into a large vein under the clavicle and the port was inserted entirely underneath the skin and attached to the catheter. There is a visible bump on my chest but the tip of the catheter is not seen. Before each access or needle insertion the skin over the port is numbed with Emla cream. Then a special needle is inserted through the skin into the catheter that is connected to the port. All blood drawn and treatments will be administered through this port-a-cath thus, reducing the number of needle sticks directly into the vein. This port will remain in place throughout the duration of chemotherapy and the mastectomy.  

On Wednesday, July 23rd, I arrived at UCSD Moores Cancer Center at 8 a.m. for my first chemotherapy infusion. I had blood drawn from my port to insure that I could handle the dose of each drug. Then, I checked in with my oncologist who gave the green light to proceed with treatment. Finally, I picked seat 11C, which I nested in for the next 5 hours.

Before any treatment began, I was given an IV solution of  Zyrtek, Tylenol, and an anti-nausea drug. That took about 30 minutes. 

The next 60 minutes I received Perjeta, which is a drug designed to target HER2+ cancer cells. Followed by 90 minutes of Herceptin, another target drug that is effective against HER2+ cancer cells.

The third infusion was 60 minutes of Taxotere, a chemotherapy drug (premedication of the corticosteroid pill, Decadron, started the day prior to Taxotere infusion, which continued for 3 days to reduce the severity of fluid retention and allergic reactions).

The fourth infusion was 60 minutes of the chemotherapy drug, Carboplatin. One of the common side effects listed was "vomitting and nausea usually occurring within the first 24 hours of treatment." I can attest to this as FACT.

Finally, a saline solution was used to flush out the port-a-cath before sending me on my way. 

My next visit is in 3 weeks. One down; 5 more to go!!


Seat 11C where I set up camp, ordered lunch, took advantage of the free wi-fi, and had a great conversation with Kathy Grand. I love you, Kathy, and have been so blessed by your willingness to accompany me to all of my appointments. Your presence and love have meant the world to me.



Here's a close up of the port-a-cath that was inserted under my skin. Technology and medical science is amazing!!



As always, I'd like to thank all of you for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I'm feeling the love. 

Peace and blessings,

Deidre




7 comments:

  1. You are an amazing soul. Love you and pray for Gods healing hands to be placed upon you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deidre you are so beautiful! I wish you didn't have to go through this. What a cocktail of drugs you have to take. Praying for you my friend. So thankful Jesus is with you in the storm. Blessings & Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kathleen! I'm being ever mindful of Jesus' presence through all of this.

    "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are simply beautiful. Amazing and you are becoming my biggest inspiration my young friend. I love you for who you are, what you do for us and how God just loves you to pieces. Thank you Diedra, and you are covered in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Galaxee, for keeping me in your prayers. <3

      Delete