Monday, July 7, 2014

Look out Beyonce... I might get a wig just like yours!

Welp, all of the tests results are in... I still have breast cancer. 

In fact, I have Stage 2b invasive cancer from the tumor AND non-invasive Stage 0 cancer throughout the rest of the breast tissue. The cancer is also ER (estrogen receptor) positive and HER2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor 2) positive, so my hormones are promoting the cancer cell growth and the gene mutation accelerates the growth making the cancer more aggressive. If you recall back in April the tumor was Stage 0 non invasive but has since progressed to Stage 2b invasive in 3 months. The good news is that it doesn't appear to have spread to my lymph nodes. Thank you, Jesus!

I will begin chemotherapy on July 23rd which will be administered for 18 weeks. According to my calculations, I should complete my last round of chemo just in time for Christmas! This course of treatment increases my chances of survival and decreases the likelihood of recurrence, however, it will not shrink or eliminate the non tumor cancer throughout the rest of the breast tissue. I will still need to have a mastectomy.

In preparation for chemo, I have been scheduled for an echocardiogram (must have a strong heart 'cause there are rare side effects of heart failure due to the drugs), a pre chemotherapy educational visit (to tell me about all of the side effects like losing my hair and nails... and possible heart failure), a catheter port consultation followed by surgery (a chest iv for the chemo drugs will be inserted under the skin), and a dentist appointment (apparently going to the dentist is an issue while going through cancer treatment). Phew!! I think I might splurge on a $20 mani-pedi from Groupon while I still have my nails. ;-) 

As always, thank you for your continued prayers, donations and support. I have peace of mind knowing that I'm not going through this alone.

With much love,

Deidre


In the morning, LORD, you hear my voice; 
in the morning I lay my requests before you 
and wait expectantly. Psalm 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment